Jan 28, 2009

Why does an egg burst when cooked in microwave oven?


I think you'd have already guessed it. :) I did it too. Turns out a lot of other people before me have experienced the same Kaboom!! in their microwave oven on some morning or other while boiling eggs for breakfast. I guess it was my turn to learn that lesson that day.

Due to pure laziness or lack of attentiveness I put 2 eggs in the microwave this morning set it to cook on high for 15 mins and went on to read the news on Google while finishing my cereal.

Seven mins later I turned back to a loud bursting noise in the microwave.The damn machine was off, I opened the door and shit! there was warm gooey egg slush all over the place. I quickly grabbed the kitchen towel and sucked it all up.

Once I was back from office I sat down to find out why the hell it happened? As you'd guess I looked for answers on the net. And yes someone had already asked the question so here goes the answer:

"Microwaves transfer heat to water molecules. In this case the water molecules are in the egg, enclosed in the shell. when the water boils - which it does - it creates steam inside the egg shell, and that builds up a great deal of pressure, until, **SPLAT**"

Now I also remembered that it had happened to one of my friends Luqman not so long ago and he had told me about it.But then again I am that kind of a person who has to burn his hand to learn that fire is hot.

But all you people can learn from my experience or better still go ahead try it yourself it works. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment